Sunday, October 7, 2012

10 Years and then the 90-Day Novel

Only a few more days and I won't have wasted an entire decade! After all the head-against-wall moments, over-editing, rewriting (and rewriting, and rewiting, and rewriting), surges of inspiration and just plain crappy writing, I'll have actually finished the first draft!!

And to think this all because of some desperate impulse buy back in the beginning of June.

The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within

Alan Watt's guide to finishing a novel didn't help me finish in 90-Days, not because he failed, but unforseen circumstance. Still, I would NEVER have come to the days before finishing my book without it. In reality, it's taken me four months from brainstorming to writing the last chapter.

I want to jump for joy!! But I also want to hit myself over the head, repeatedly.

I have spent ten years on this story and never even came close to a viable first draft. Hell, I never even had a first draft! And this is what I learned, something I believe rings true for many writers. I had to learn to write everyday. To commit myself to write nomatter what. Sometimes I had surges of inspiration where I'd write 2,000+ words in two hours. Other days, it would take me four hours to barely scratch out 600 words.

I've already purchased Alan Watt's follow-up, The 90-Day Rewrite: The Process of Revision so I can jump right into the second part of every novel's journey. Aside from the standards, day I got married, day my son was born, the day I finish this will be on the short list of the happiest days of my life. And now I know I'll get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment